Your family cooks a can of soup over a kerosene heater. Everyone is bundled up in mittens, fleece-lined coveralls and wool socks. Your breath is visible and it’s miserable inside your home that was once bright, happy and warm.
This is what day two of a widespread power outage can look like for hundreds of families during a winter storm. Are you prepared?
For emergency situations like this one, it is important to be prepared. One way to ensure your family has all it needs during a dire power outage is purchasing a portable generator.
Not only can it keep vital home appliances, like microwaves, cell phones and stoves working during severe winter weather, it can also save you money during summer outages by powering your refrigerator so none of your food spoils in the heat.
Portable generators are also great for powering tools during yard work, especially items that need to be plugged in too far from a typical power source.
Regardless of their usefulness, the purchase of generators can be a hefty initial expense. That cost can continue to elevate throughout their use because most generators use some type of fossil fuel to run.
That is why it is important to choose a generator that is not only reliable for your family, but has a high fuel efficiency rating.
Although there are many portable generators out there that claim to be efficient, there is one that easily takes the cake when price for performance are considered. That is the Briggs & Stratton 30651 P2200 PowerSmart Series Portable 2200-Watt Inverter Generator with Parallel Capability
- Operation-per-gallon. When discussing fuel efficiency, the most important aspect is how many gallons of fuel are needed per hour of work. At two hours of operation, this generator can use one gallon of gasoline to provide its full running watt output
- Total running watts. This portable generator has 2,200 starting watts and 1,700 running watts. As a comparison, a refrigerator uses 500 to 750 watts, while a washing machine uses 500 to 100 watts
- Quiet operation. This generator operates at 59dBa, which is the measurement of sound. Generators typically average around 75dBa, depending on their type
- Lightweight. This machine is only 55 pounds, which means it can be easily moved from device to appliance in your home that you hope to power. This can be especially valuable for long durations of power outages. After a week-long storm, you will likely tire of lugging around a heavy generator
- This generator only has a one gallon fuel tank, which means it will need to be refilled regularly
- Has a slightly lower total running watts than other generators. However, it is lower in price than other generators with higher wattage
The Briggs & Stratton 30651 P2200 PowerSmart Series Portable 2200-Watt Inverter Generator with Parallel Capability is the most efficient portable generator. Although it has a small fuel tank, it is still a great investment for its price. The function and reliability are excellent for families hoping to stay safe in an emergency or use it for camping.
Although it comes at a much higher price tag, the Pro-Series GENSD7, 5500 Runing Watts/7000 Starting Watts, Diesel Powered Portable Generator is another great, fuel-efficient generator.
This portable generator nearly has the same operation time at full output, however it puts out a lot more wattage than the Briggs & Stratton product. In essence, this product is technically more fuel efficient, however its price is much higher.
Another negative to this product is that it does not have nearly the amount of positive reviews as the Briggs-Stratton generator. There seems to be several unsatisfied customers when it comes to this product.
When it comes to being pleased with your purchase, the Briggs & Stratton 30651 P2200 PowerSmart Series Portable 2200-Watt Inverter Generator with Parallel Capability is the most efficient portable generator.
If operating at 25 percent, this generator can last for eight hours on a gallon fuel tank. It is not only lightweight for easy portability, but it operates at a high level for its small size. This is perfect for your camping trips or when you are on road, traveling to exotic locations.